home > recipes
Cooking with tart cherries is a lot of fun and we have a great collection of recipes here.
Complete recipe index
Pies, cakes, drinks, appetizers, salsas, cookies and more
A couple of our favorite dried cherry recipes
Check out the Double Cherry Pie
Here is our favorite local cherry pie recipe:
Mother's Cherry Pie
4 cups tart cherries
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp. Corn starch
3/4 cup cherry juice
1/4 tsp. Lemon or almond extract
1/4 tsp. Red food coloring
2 tbsp. Butter
Crust for two crust pie
All five daughters have won 4-H pie contests and state school bake-off contests with this recipe!
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar, salt and corn starch
- Add 1/4 cup cherry juice to make a paste
- In a saucepan, mix 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup cherry juice and bring to a boil. While boiling, slowly add corn starch mixture.
- Stir constantly, and cook until thick and clear
- Fold in the cherries and add lemon or almond extract, food coloring and butter.
- Pour into pie crust, cover with top crust and bake at 375 degrees for one hour.
3 cups tart cherries
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup cherry juice (or water)
1 tbsp tapioca (or cornstarch)
1/2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 3/4 cup flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup milk or cream
- Thicken fruit mixture by combining sugar and tapioca in saucepan.
- Sit in cherries, juice and cinnamon.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly
- Add milk, stir lightly
- Pour hot cherry mixture into a buttered 6 cup shallow baking dish or pan.
- Dot with butter.
- Spoon dough over hot cherries in evenly spaced mounds.
Sprinkle top with trace of sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until top is brown.
Serve with heavy cream or yogurt.
Michigan Baked Oatmeal
|2 cups old-fashioned oats
4 cups milk
1/4 tsp almond flavoring
1/2 cup dried
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 large apple, unpeeled, grated or chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat 3 quart casserole or baking pan with cooking spray.
- In mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Fold into baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Serve hot.